My novel, The House of Hawthorne, releases in less than two weeks, and I am eager to share the enchanting world of Nathaniel and Sophia Hawthorne with readers. For the first time I do not use a fictional narrator to tell the story, but only the “true characters” from history. From Emerson, to Thoreau, to Franklin Pierce, to Elizabeth Browning, the well-known cast and luscious settings contribute to the rich canvas of the Hawthornes’ lives.
Christina Baker Kline, #1 NY Times Bestselling author of Orphan Train, says this aboutThe House of Hawthorne: “The timeless questions of identity and creative self-expression facing women today are explored in this richly imagined novel about the marriage of Nathaniel and Sophia Hawthorne. Insightful and transportive.”
- Vanity Fair has selectedThe House of Hawthorne for its “Hot Type” feature in June, and DuJour Magazine is featuring the novel in its recommendations for Mother’s Day Gifts.
- I would love to see you (and your book club, if you are in one) at my launch party on Friday, May 8th, 7 PM, at Barnes and Noble in Annapolis, MD. There will be goodies and a giveaway. If you are not able to make the launch or do not live locally, a list of my events may be found here.
- If you use an ereader or would prefer to pre-order a copy of the book, a list of links may be found here.
- I’m delighted to report that audio rights forThe House of Hawthorne have been sold, and the audiobook will be released on May 5th.
- If you are on Goodreads or any online book sites, I would greatly appreciate if you add the book to your “To Read” lists and consider reviewing it once you finish reading.
- If your book club would like to schedule a visit with me (in person or on Skype) please contact me here.
- Finally, for news and oodles of historical fiction giveaways, follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Google +, or Pinterest.
The House of Hawthorne is especially close to my heart, and will be my first hardcover release. It fills me with joy and gratitude to think of the progress from selling that first box of self-published books out of my car at a wine festival to now. Your support and encouragement have made this possible, and I am so thankful.
In honor of Sophia Peabody Hawthorne’s love of beauty, art, nature, and family, I am hosting a Mother’s Day giveaway of 2 signed copies of The House of Hawthorne. Mother’s Day is Sunday, May 10th, so I will run the giveaway for one week to allow ample time to mail the books in time for the holiday, if you choose to use it as a gift. US residents have until 9 PM ET on Wednesday, April 29th to enter. Comment below about your favorite Hawthorne story, or a reflection on motherhood and family, and please share the post on social media. Good luck!